Thursday, September 9, 2010

At least I'm enjoying the ride...

Do I go forward picturing the my next move, my next action, my next reaction, the world's response to my action or do I simply go and let Que sera sera. Manifest destiny or go with the flow? Arrogant advancement vs. ignorant blisss?

As I stood on the corner waiting to for the cross walk signal to beckon me over to my afternoon latte, I could not help listening to the conversation between two high school girls. The conversation was repleat with explicatives regarding a third girl - the fuel of the profanity fire. At one point the first said to the second in a loud and animated way..."she so dumb, I never met anybody dumber than that, she so dumb."

I was struck dumb, literally dumb. I could not speak and yet I wanted so much to do so. My mother the English teacher, myself the mom and a million other little voices were screaming inside my head - "DO YOU KNOW HOW IRONICALLY STUPID IT SOUNDS FOR YOU TO SAY "SHE SO DUMB."" I swear I choked to hold back my laughter and then I almost spoke up. The profanities were escalating and nearing crescendo at this point. "That girl could not pass that class if her life depended on it and I got a B in that class last year without ever trying. I heard her dumb brother a drop out too."

English grammar on the corner of NE Broadway and NE Cesar Chavez BLVD is practically a mute point...except possibly when you sound so dumb saying "she so dumb!"

My thoughts raced forward about the possible exchanges that we might have...

I would say, "Ladies you might sound a bit more sophisticated when depreciating your peers if you would at least use proper grammer." They would be so moved by my concern and would make it a point to present themselves in a professsional manner with honed gramatics from then on. The entire course of their lives would change until one day they found themselves donned in stylish business attire, briefcase in hand, on the corner of NE Ceasar Chavez waiting for the cross walk signal to beckon them to their afternoon Green Tea.

Or rather...

I would say, "Do you know how dumb you sound saying "she so dumb!"" and they would re-align the target of their profanities toward yours truly right then and there.

I remain quiet. At Starbucks I ask for a drink, "Please" and "Thank you so much." Off I go.

Destiny is ubiquitous. It manifests itself in every moment of our existence. Every step, every word, every choice. It seems pure arrogance to say that we choose the path we are on.

At the very next stop light the car in front of me has a bumper sticker..."I miss Jerry." I do too. "At least I'm enjoying the ride. At least I'm enjoying the ride."


Ginger Pumpkin Soup from Country Living

2 can(s) (15-ounce) pumpkin puree
3 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth
1 can(s) (11 1/2-ounce) pear nectar
1/3 cup(s) creamy peanut butter
2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoon(s) grated fresh ginger root
2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped green onion
1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cayenne pepper
Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
Chopped chives (optional)


In a 6-quart saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and pear nectar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
In a blender or the bowl of a food processor fitted with chopping blade, process 1 cup pumpkin mixture with peanut butter until smooth. Return to saucepan with the remaining pumpkin mixture. Add garlic, ginger root, green onion, lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper; cook 10 minutes over medium heat.
Divide soup among soup plates and garnish with pumpkin seeds and chives, if desired. Serve immediately.

1 comment: